On May 15, 2017, we enjoyed a dynamic fireside chat with Heather Hunt-Ruddy, interviewed by Stephanie Ackler.
In her delightfully entertaining way, Ms. Hunt-Ruddy shared some glimpses of her impressive career at Wells Fargo Advisors, where she is now the youngest member on the Operating Committee. She enlightened us with her inspiring insights and tips on how to be successful as a woman in the world of Finance and business at large. These are some highlights that stood out for us:
- Never underestimate yourself. Step up to opportunities, even when you don’t have 100% of the qualifications. Believe that you can do it. Men do it, too.
- Even if you think you may not be accepted for a position, ask anyway. Get used to hearing “no,” and a “yes” will come.
- Stay true to who you are, be yourself and have the courage to act like a woman instead of emulating male behavior.Authenticity works and can actually be more effective than playing a role. In this context, Ms. Hunt-Ruddy shared that in one of the many Wells Fargo locations she worked at, she was called ” The Velvet Hammer” because of her nurturing personality.
Don’t back-stab. Everything comes back to us.
- Be prepared to relocate to drive your career, and take on jobs that no one else wants.
- Be known as someone who takes action. Even simple steps can go a long way.
- Don’t be afraid to fire toxic people. Stand up for those who support a positive culture.
- Carve out time to listen to your team.
Ms. Hunt-Ruddy is a true role model for women aspiring to fulfilling careers in Finance.