3-hour Leadership Skills Course for Corporate Secretaries
presented by Ria Davis, Attorney and FWA Corporate Secretary
FWA Corporate Secretary Ria Davis, Attorney, presented a 3-hour Leadership Skills Course for Corporate Secretaries. The event, which quickly sold out, was generously hosted and underwritten by TIAA-CREF, a President’s Circle firm. The course was a special “Members Only” offering for FWA members who are interested in pursuing Board and Committee positions at the FWA as well as with outside corporate and not-for-profit firms.
The attendees were welcomed by an introduction from Karen Elinski, Associate General Counsel for Government Relations at TIAA-CREF and a member of the FWA Board, followed by opening remarks from FWA President Kimberly Weinrick. Ms. Davis led an engaging and informative session, covering five main topics:
- Corporate Governance
- The Role of the Corporate Secretary
- Corporate Secretary Qualifications
- Responsibilities of a Corporate Secretary
- Running a Board Meeting: End-to-End Transaction Management
Participants received templates for various board documents, such as the Notice of Meeting, Agenda and Board Minutes. Ms. Davis also shared additional resources (below) for those interested in pursuing a Corporate Secretary position and treated the group to some lessons learned from some of the more contentious outside Board experiences. One participant was so inspired by the session that she signed up to be the Corporate Secretary for an FWA Committee; another observed that learning about the importance of Directors & Officers (D&O) Liability insurance was “worth the price of admission alone”; a third participant was able to use one of the template documents right away for a Board on which her husband serves. Given how well received the course was, we are planning more “Members Only” training courses. Stay tuned.
- Columbia Law School – Millstein Governance Forum
- University of Delaware John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance
- University of Delaware Alfred Lerner College of Business & Economics
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD)
- International Corporate Governance Network
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Council of New York Cooperatives & Condominiums
provides training and other resources for Coop and Condo board members.
- Cooperator Magazine
provides good articles on building management and co-op board governance issues.